We all know that too much time with tech is bad for the mind, but even resisting temptation is taking its toll on us, warns Tom Chatfield, an expert speaker on the issues presented by the digital age.
Studies have shown time and time again that the very act of resisting temptation takes its toll, which matters a great deal when it comes to technology. Those phantom messages, where you imagine your phone vibrating – that’s your body trying to tell you something.
Tom explains that over half of us now suffer from nomophobia – anxiety of being out of phone contact – and our willpower and attention are suffering as a result. He asserts that to get the most out of your relationship with tech, which by its very design is calibrated to entice, you should therefore spend at least a little time apart.
Tom is interested in improving our experiences and relationship with the digital world. Check out his new paperback, “Live This Book!” (2015), which encourages readers to spend more quality time with the people, ideas and passions that matter most in their life, whilst imparting creative ideas on how to maintain a healthy relationship with technology.
For more information on how to book Tom Chatfield as a speaker for your conference or event, please contact Leo von Bülow-Quirk at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0044 (0) 20 7792 8000.
Dr Tom Chatfield is a British author of six bestselling books, broadcaster and tech philosopher. He has advised many of the world’s leading technology firms, and is currently a Visiting Associate at the Oxford Internet Institute. The latest edition of his book “Netymology: a linguistic celebration of the digital world” was published by Quercus US on 2nd August 2016.
Posts about Tom Chatfield
- Thriving in the Digital Age with Tom Chatfield
- Tom Chatfield: The Perils of Big Data
- Tom Chatfield discusses the evolving relationship between business and technology
- Tom Chatfield on the ethics of handing over our decisions to machines
- Technology speaker Tom Chatfield on Gamification and Business Behaviour
- Tom Chatfield, inspirational speaker on the impact of technology on society, discusses what our descendants will deplore about us
- “Has technology rewired our brains?” asks Tom Chatfield, a leading thinker on digital culture
- “Forget smartwatches, smartcars will drive the next revolution” explains tech commentator Tom Chatfield
- Read the official preview of “Live This Book!” by Tom Chatfield, a cutting edge thinker and best-selling author on digital culture
- “Your phone is seducing you, and you’re paying the price” warns leading tech speaker Tom Chatfield
- “Do you need a more balanced tech diet?” asks Tom Chatfield, best-selling author on digital culture
- Tom Chatfield: technology is evolving our language – for the better!