“Has technology rewired our brains?” asks Tom Chatfield, a leading thinker on digital culture
Has technology rewired our brains, making us less human as a result? Tom Chatfield is a leading thinker on digital culture, is an enthusiastic downloader of the latest apps, and an early adopter of anything small and shiny that promises to smooth his path through life. But Tom can’t help feeling a little anxious about the hold that new technology has on his life.
Plato felt much the same, concerned that the new-fangled concept of writing might destroy the ability of the Ancient Greeks to memorise vast swathes of human knowledge. Do car sat-navs destroy our innate sense of direction? Do search engines displace our store of general knowledge?
With the help of the Economist’s Digital Editor, Tom Standage and cybernetics expert, Kevin Warwick, Tom looks toward a future when the communication and computing power of our smartphones is inserted directly into our nervous systems. With superfast thought processes and a battery of new senses will we feel upgraded or out of control, superhuman or inhuman?
Click here to listen to their musings. It will be followed up by a long essay on technology, anxiety and what tech means for the mind next week- watch this space.
For more information on how to book Tom Chatfield as a keynote speaker for your conference or event, please contact Leo von Bülow-Quirk at email@example.com or call 0044 (0) 20 7792 8000.
Dr Tom Chatfield is a British author of six bestselling books, broadcaster and tech philosopher. He has advised many of the world’s leading technology firms, and is currently a Visiting Associate at the Oxford Internet Institute. The latest edition of his book “Netymology: a linguistic celebration of the digital world” was published by Quercus US on 2nd August 2016.
Posts about Tom Chatfield
- Thriving in the Digital Age with Tom Chatfield
- Tom Chatfield: The Perils of Big Data
- Tom Chatfield discusses the evolving relationship between business and technology
- Tom Chatfield on the ethics of handing over our decisions to machines
- Technology speaker Tom Chatfield on Gamification and Business Behaviour
- Tom Chatfield, inspirational speaker on the impact of technology on society, discusses what our descendants will deplore about us
- “Has technology rewired our brains?” asks Tom Chatfield, a leading thinker on digital culture
- “Forget smartwatches, smartcars will drive the next revolution” explains tech commentator Tom Chatfield
- Read the official preview of “Live This Book!” by Tom Chatfield, a cutting edge thinker and best-selling author on digital culture
- “Your phone is seducing you, and you’re paying the price” warns leading tech speaker Tom Chatfield
- “Do you need a more balanced tech diet?” asks Tom Chatfield, best-selling author on digital culture
- Tom Chatfield: technology is evolving our language – for the better!