Writing for the BBC, best-selling author Tom Chatfield argues that we should strive towards a more balanced tech diet, by reflecting on how much our phones and other digital temptations are ruling our thoughts and attention.
Tom notes that whilst the opportunity to collaborate, learn, share and create in ways is inconceivable to other eras, the temptation to be lured by technology is ever-present. This presents a problems, because your productivity, profit and mental wellbeing are entwined with machines whose agendas don’t always coincide with your own.
Tom reminds us that our “attention is valuable – and tech companies are lining up to turn your time into their money. Don’t make the mistake of pricing yourself too cheaply.”
The article and the associated images are inspired by “Live This Book!” (2015) – Tom’s latest journal asks the reader to put pen to paper, and consider what it means to spend time with the things that truly count in life, love, work and leisure.
Click here to read the full article.
For more information on how to book Tom Chatfield as a speaker for your conference or event, please contact Leo von Bülow-Quirk at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0044 (0) 20 7792 8000.
Dr Tom Chatfield is a British author of six bestselling books, broadcaster and tech philosopher. He has advised many of the world’s leading technology firms, and is currently a Visiting Associate at the Oxford Internet Institute. The latest edition of his book “Netymology: a linguistic celebration of the digital world” was published by Quercus US on 2nd August 2016.
Posts about Tom Chatfield
- Thriving in the Digital Age with Tom Chatfield
- Tom Chatfield: The Perils of Big Data
- Tom Chatfield discusses the evolving relationship between business and technology
- Tom Chatfield on the ethics of handing over our decisions to machines
- Technology speaker Tom Chatfield on Gamification and Business Behaviour
- Tom Chatfield, inspirational speaker on the impact of technology on society, discusses what our descendants will deplore about us
- “Has technology rewired our brains?” asks Tom Chatfield, a leading thinker on digital culture
- “Forget smartwatches, smartcars will drive the next revolution” explains tech commentator Tom Chatfield
- Read the official preview of “Live This Book!” by Tom Chatfield, a cutting edge thinker and best-selling author on digital culture
- “Your phone is seducing you, and you’re paying the price” warns leading tech speaker Tom Chatfield
- “Do you need a more balanced tech diet?” asks Tom Chatfield, best-selling author on digital culture
- Tom Chatfield: technology is evolving our language – for the better!