Edward Chancellor Keynote Speaker
- Financial historian and award winning journalist
- Author of 'The Price of Time' - longlisted for Business Book of the Year 2022
- Contributor at Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, MoneyWeek and New York Review of Books
Edward Chancellor's Biography
Edward Chancellor is a well known financial historian, author, journalist and investment strategist.
His most recent book is ‘The Price of Time – the real story of interest‘ (July 2022). In this book, Edward illustrates how extremely low interest rates create asset price inflation but are also largely responsible for the weak economic growth, rising inequality, elevated debt levels, and pensions crises that have impacted our economies in recent years. Meanwhile, access to easy money in China has inflated their real estate sector and has created an epic credit and investment boom. He forewarns that the global financial system is moving closer to another major crisis. The book was longlisted for the FT Business Book of the Year 2022. It was also listed by Amazon as a top business book of 2022.
His prior books are Devil Take the Hindmost: A History of Financial Speculation which has been translated into many languages and was a New York Times Book of the Year. He also wrote ‘Crunch-Time for Credit?’ and ‘Capital Returns: Investing Through the Capital Cycle: A Money Manager’s Reports 2002-2015″.
After reading history at Cambridge and Oxford, Edward worked for Lazard Brothers and until 2014 he was a senior member of the asset allocation team at GMO. He is currently a columnist for Reuters BreakingViews and has contributed to the Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times, MoneyWeek and the New York Review of Books. In 2008, he received the George Polk Award for financial reporting for his article “Ponzi Nation” in Institutional Investor.
Edward Chancellor's Speaking Topics
• Speculative booms and busts, past and present
• Interest: the history of interest, bond bull and bear markets, the unintended consequences of easy money
• Inflation: the history of inflation, how inflation impacts investment portfolios, how to protect against inflation
• Investment and asset allocation: in particular, how investing with the capital cycle delivers superior returns