Cathy Mulligan Keynote Speaker
- Professor at Instituto Superior Técnico, Director of DCentral Lab
- Former Vice President and CTO for a major technology firm for North West Europe
- Adviser on Real World Solutions to Governments and Multinational corporations on digitalisation
Cathy Mulligan's Biography
Dr. Cathy Mulligan is a researcher, author, adviser and keynote speaker on Digital Transformation, covering technical, economic and policy applications of digital technologies.
Since May 2021, she is a Professor at Instituto Superior Técnico, Director of DCentral Lab and ERA BIG Chair in Lisbon. In this role, she researches and speaks about Data, Cryptocurrencies and the broader social impact of digital technologies. She is sought and after for input and advice on a variety of technologies as she is as comfortable in the C-Suite environment as in the research lab.
Cathy is a cross-disciplinary researcher who has worked at the boundaries of economics, sustainable development and digital since 2006. She has led multiple research projects across the UK, EU, Australia, India and Malaysia. She is a member of the World Economic Forum’s Data Policy Council and has consulted at senior levels for the UN, OECD and various governments across the world.
Cathy is a Visiting Lecturer at Imperial College and Honorary Senior Research Associate in the computer science department at UCL. Cathy was a founding Co-Director of the Imperial College Centre for Cryptocurrency research and engineering – one of the world’s first research centres in blockchain. She actively researches digital transformation and technologies and in addition to her theoretical research, she translates her research into real-world solutions for multinational corporations.
Cathy delivers research in the areas of new economic structures enabled by the digital economy, in particular, the role of Cybersecurity and Distributed Ledger Technologies in the creation of trust in digitally-enabled industries, governments, and in the creation of citizen-centric smart/sustainable cities. Cathy previously served as standardisation lead for the Open and Agile Smart Cities (OASC) Task Force and was Vice Chairman of the ETSI ISG on Context Information Management.
She regularly advises on the role of digital technologies in the UK, EU and Australasia to a variety of governments and has acted as an advisor and Non Exec Director to several companies.
She has over 25 years’ experience in senior corporate (VP / CTO Roles) and research roles and has written 7 books on digital technologies. Her most recent book is ‘5G Networks – Powering Digitalization’
– Speaking Topics Include;
– Emerging technologies including: Blockchain, Cryptocurrency, 5G and Data Ecosystems, AI/ML
– Sustainable Development with digital technologies (SDGs) – delivering Economic, Social and Environmental justice with technology
– Ethical Implications of Digital Technologies
– Digitalization and citizen-centric smart/sustainable cities
– Futures and Horizon scanning – what does the future hold?